4kg/m2 Mass Loaded Vinyl, or NuWave Base 4kg/m2, or just MLV, is a high performance, flexible soundproofing barrier from Thermotec Australia.
With an ultra thin profile of 2mm (approximately) and high acoustic performance of Rw 26*, 4kg/m2 Mass Loaded Vinyl is an excellent product to soundproof walls, timber floors and ceiling spaces in residential homes & is particularly suitable for office partitions in commercial buildings.
Mass loaded Vinyl is also commonly used in a wide variety of other applications such as soundproofing cars, boats, pump housings, machinery rooms or other industrial applications.
Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) is dark grey or black in colour and Supplied in a roll, 5 meters long by 1350mm wide, weighing approximately 28kg.
4kg/m2 Mass Loaded Vinyl Installation:
4kg/m2 Mass Loaded Vinyl is very easy to cut and install. The product contains a fabric scrim with an embossed face increasing tear resistance whilst maintaining high flexibility.
Walls / ceilings / underfloors – the product should be tacked to studs / joists using tacks with large heads or incorporating a washer to minimize tear. Gluing is also beneficial.
Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) can be glued to machinery housings, pump housings, boat or car structures to increase the mass and reduce sound transmission.
Sheets should be butted up against each other, or overlapped and taped using a a strong industrial tape.
4kg/m2 Mass Loaded Vinyl Composition:
Mass Loaded Vinyl is comprised of 3 elements.
First, vinyl is employed to provide the product with a high level of flexibility for ease of use.
Second, the Vinyl is impregnated with naturally occurring Barium Sulphate, a non toxic nature and high relative density substance. It is this high relative density (mass) that gives Mass Loaded Vinyl such effective soundproofing capabilities.
Finally, the vinyl and barium mixture is added to a reinforcing scrim to increase the products tensile strength
4kg/m2 Mass Loaded Vinyl Properties
|Standard Roll Size||1350mm x 5 metre / 1350mm x 3 metre|
|Weight – nominal||NuWave 4kg/m2, NuWave 6kg/m2, NuWave 8kg/m2|
|Thickness – nominal||NuWave 4kg = 2mm, NuWave 6kg=3mm, NuWave 8kg = 4mm|
|Operating Temperature||Up to 100° C|
|Green Building Council Compliant||Yes (Low VOC & ODP-EMI4)|
|Available as Fire Tested Product||NuWave 4-Zero Foil Faced—AS/NZS1530.3|
|Barrier Material||Barium loaded limp mass PVC– Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV)|
|Country of Manufacture||Australia|
4kg/m2 Mass Loaded Vinyl Applications
- Partitions and common walls – housing units
- Noise Barrier screens, temporary & permanent
- Carpet underlay – studios, theatres, offices
- Ceiling – offices, meeting rooms, home theatres
- Studios, theatres, media rooms & hospitals
- Heavy industrial machinery – noise isolation
- Waste/Soil pipes – noise reduction
- Plant rooms, engine rooms, heavy transport
- Acoustic Doors
- Mining barrier screens—Milling, screening, etc.
- Fan & Blower Housings
4kg/m2 Mass Loaded Vinyl Additional Details
- Mass loaded vinyl barriers – 4kg, 6kg & 8kg
- Other densities available on request
- Low profile – High Performance – long life
- Industry acceptance and proven performer
- Available as 4-Zero fire rated & outdoors variants
- No ozone depleting substances (ODP-EMI 4)
- Available in composite products – NuWrap 5 & Cabmat
- Easy to cut and install as curtains, inside walls and ceilings
- Low VOC – meets Green Building Council requirements
- Maximum transmission loss across the range of frequencies
4kg/m2 Mass Loaded Vinyl Wall & Ceiling Predictions
BCA F5.5 (a) Sound insulation rating of walls—A wall in a Class 2 or 3 building must
(I) have an Rw + Ctr (airborne) not less than 50, if it separates sole-occupancy units; and
(II) have an Rw (airborne) not less than 50, if it separates a sole-occupancy unit from a plant room, liftshaft, stairway, public corridor, public lobby or the like, or parts of a different classification
(c) A wall in a Class 9c aged care building must have an Rw not less than 45 if it separates(I) a sole-occupancy unit;or
(II) a sole-occupancy unit from a plant room or liftshaft
*Rw rating is a single number quantity summarising the transmission loss of a material over the frequency range from 100Hz to 3.15 kHz under AS/NZS 1276.1:1999. Independent test reports available.
Want to know more or have a question? Simply contact us below and we’ll do our best to help.